Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Instruments That Blow Your Mind

I haven't yet promoted a webpage on this blog, not because there aren't great resources out there, but because I want to focus on one sound, one aspect, one instrument at a time. Most webpages that are concerned with music tend to be of a wider scope than I could write about on any given post in this blog. However, I think I'm going to have to make an exception in this post though, because this is one hell of a resource.

The Oddmusic gallery is a wonderful project, in which strange/relatively unknown (new and old) instruments are showcased. Videos and sound clips are also available for many of the instruments listed in it's impressive list. Among some of the wacky instruments:

- A guitar with 5 necks
- The Guitarangi da Gamba: a 30 stringed guitar/viola/sarangi hybrid
- Didjibodhrán: Half didjeridu and...half bodhrán
- The Fire Organ: An organ that creates sound through propane flames
- The Sea Organ: A wind instrument that is "played" by the sea

And so on and so forth. Fun stuff to browse through. Not all of them are "serious" musical creations, but it's still pretty neat! I'll probably take up my favourite ones in individual blog posts... eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment