Sunday, April 26, 2009

Flaskedrengene: Beer Bottle Music

As most of us know (and have done), blowing over a bottle can make a very musical note. It's a pretty neat phenomenon, and I tend to take advantage of it whenever I have a bottle in my hands (...sometimes to the chagrin of my peers).

I've seen some youtube videos of people performing small pieces on pre-tuned bottles, but most of them are essentially stop-motion compilations, and usually with a limited range of harmony and complexity.

Enter Flaskedrengene, known in English as The Bottle Band. These guys actually perform this stuff live, in harmony. Unfortunately I know nothing about them except that they are street musicians from Denmark (the info on them in English is next to none, but if anyone else finds more info, please do share!). They even performed on "Denmark's Got Talent" last year. Something about the innocence of bottle blowing and the sheer oddity of it makes it highly enjoyable and a pleasure to watch. I'm also impressed that they can keep carrying bottles with water in them for several songs in a row... that's gotta be cumbersome and tiring.



The DK Talent show segment is here. Check out the creative use of thumbs around 2:14.



For those geeks out there, if you want to know more about the physics behind this phenomenon, go and check out this description.

As a bonus, I present to you Michel Lauzière and his use of beer bottles:

No comments:

Post a Comment