Sunday, December 6, 2009

Balloon Bass

One of the unfortunate realities of playing music is the cost of the instrument. Most traditional instruments cost several hundred dollars, and it is an expense that many of us cannot afford. Sometimes though, there are fun, tonal instruments that can be made at home for next to nothing. Such as an instrument made entirely out of a few balloons!

The name says it all - a bass like instrument, where both the string and the resonator/body is made out of balloons. It has 3 and 1/2 octaves, which is a larger range than most smaller instruments - and you can make one too!

I've never really made an instrument myself, most often because I feel like I need a garage full of woodworking equipment etc. This instrument makes me wonder what other kinds of instruments could be made out of stuff I have lying around! Do you have any ideas?





- If you want to see more detailed instructions about how to make the diaphragm part of the balloon bass, go here and watch this video.

For more details about the instrument, and the artist who is recording/performing with this instrument, go to his website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment