Sunday, October 11, 2009

Piano Stairs

Today's entry is actually a part of an ad campaign by volkswagen. It's fairly self-explanatory, so I'll just post it here. It's basically a set of stairs that have been refitted to mimic the piano keyboard, and it produces the sound that corresponds to that key:



From the perspectives of urban planning, marketing and other angles, it's definitely a cool concept. From the perspective of a musician, it makes me wonder how we can better integrate musical creation - as opposed to listening - in every day life. It would be neat if there was some simple way to create music with the people around you, easily and in a fun way. Hmmmm..

3 comments:

  1. As a kid, everything was an instrument.

    ..Then I found I couldn't generate the sounds I had in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some instruments out there that are meant to be completely intuitive. I'll do some blog entries on them. It's a shame that learning to play an instrument is often bogged down by theory and practice. It really doesn't promote creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.vodafone.co.nz/symphonia

    Cellphone orchestra

    ReplyDelete