Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dancing?

I've posted about different aspects of music here, from instruments, performance, vocals, and even music videos. I think all have the potential to move people, to touch people in ways that are impossible to describe in words. However, I had a very awkward realization when it was made apparent that I have not talked about dancing.

What made me realize this? This is even more embarrassing - the youtube video from "So you think you can dance", where all the judges were crying. I guess I will embed it here. The performance is supposedly extremely moving.



But I don't get it. Nada. I thought it was entertaining to watch, but in the same way that I am impressed with gymnastics. I felt nothing watching this. Believe me, I tried though. Hard.

So it is with this realization that I reflected upon my understanding of dancing, and came out wondering: Am I missing something here? Because I really don't think I get it. Perhaps the above video is just a bad example, but I still have yet to ever see a dance that moved me. Dances can look sexy, can look strong, can look impressive...but I can't imagine a dance that could make me feel something the way music can, the way a painting can, or the way that actors can (for me personally).

If anyone has any thoughts on this, please feel free to share! I would love to understand dance. It's so utterly tied with music, yet I am completely ignorant of it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm no expert, but I would say this example has a powerful context: As a tribute to breast cancer, the dancers are expressing the hardships and victories associated with the life-threatening disease. The show also has a context of personal growth and learning so that might come into play here too.

    Perhaps somewhat similar to audiophiles that swear by analog LPs, appreciation may comes from really learning the genre and experiencing the variety of nuances and contexts.

    Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, if I knew more about dance it would probably help. I've never seen a ballet for example.

    I still wonder about dances though. I can't imagine most people being moved by a dance without music. I somehow think that would really change the way we experience it. And if that's the case, what is dance really providing?

    hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this pretty phony when I saw it-- especially the "fake baldness" she was sporting as costume. I think the only moving part of it was the song, which has gotten a lot of attention before for being emotional. Although the original song done by the original musician (kate bush) is a lot better. Basically, I believe a "moving" dance is just average choreography with an EXCELLENT choice of music accompanying it. Actually on the show, this is proved right many times, when those numbers with moving/intense music usually belong to the dancers who stay on for the next week. the music is what makes it, always. and a good dancer is just a good actor with athleticism.

    em

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm...
    I actually totally agree with you. Maybe that's all there is to it?

    ReplyDelete